This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole includes homemade condensed or Campbell’s Soup, flavorful rice cooked in chicken broth, and a buttery, crunchy Ritz topping. Cook up some fresh chicken or use Rotisserie!
Are you ready for the ultimate comfort food recipe? My family and I have been eating this chicken and rice casserole for years now. Who needs to separate chicken, rice, and broccoli when you can whip up a creamy casserole?!
This recipe is one of my favorite freezer foods. I’m pretty sure readers come back for this recipe more than any other. Once you try it, you’re pretty much hooked.
You can make it with chicken breasts, rotisserie chicken, and I even have a ham and a ground beef version!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, uncooked
- 10.5 oz. Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, separated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup Ritz crackers, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and season with Italian seasoning and desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat until melted. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Note: This step is not needed if using a cooked rotisserie chicken.
- Add the chicken broth, olive oil, and rice to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover tightly and cook for 7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli (if using fresh) and replace the cover. Cook for 8 more minutes. Refrain from stirring.
- Turn off the heat and remove the cover. Let the rice stand for 10 minutes, do not stir. Any rice on the bottom of the pot will release.
- Add the cooked chicken, soup, milk, sour cream, optional seasonings, and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Add to a lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes.